Thursday, June 09, 2005

What's the catch?

The following passage is taken from "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller

"Sure there's a catch," Doc Daneeka replied. "Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat duty isn't really crazy"

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.


WOW! If I could only write like that! Do I have to go nuts first though? Then again, I probably already am so there's no issue there...

As you've probably guessed by now, I'm reading Catch-22 (more like "trying to read".. for the umpteenth time... It seems everytime I start I either lose the book or get too busy). Hopefully I'll actually finish it this time.

More on the book when I finish.

6 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

Read this aeons ago, probably when I wuz your age :P

It was quite mind-bending back then, and it appears that the book has withstood the test of time (as only truly good books can).

It's kinda fuzzy now to me... I'm sure I have a copy buried somewhere in my compost heap of Things I Never Throw Away. It's probably too much work to dig it up again; I'll just wait for your in-depth review to refresh my memory instead...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'd agree that it's truly a masterpiece...Yeah do review! I'd like to see from your perspective. :D

10:51 AM  
Blogger Deiji said...

I feel the same way. I love reading but unless a book is like really awsome I can't finsh it.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jyan said...

Looks like we all love paradoxes...

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never heard of this book before. Come to think of it, i don't even read much

1:13 AM  
Blogger yinsern said...

Since I posted this entry i have been too busy to read any further... Argh! Based on my start date and page rate, you can expect my full review sometime in August 2009.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home